|Date Posted||March 19, 2021|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$50,000 to $55,000|
Fourth Presbyterian Church seeks a Staff Accountant for the second largest Presbyterian church in the United States and its sister non-profit organization, Chicago Lights. Working with the Controller and Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant will perform and complete the processing of accounts payable transactions. They will prepare journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations and assist with monthly close processes. They will also develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
Fourth Presbyterian Church is located on Chicago’s vibrant Michigan Avenue. The complex of historic and modern buildings welcomes hundreds of people each day, including members, guests, church staff, and others. Programs offer services to those who seek faith and guidance, are active in one of our many community programs, participate in one of our associated mission programs, or those who desire a few moments of peace and refuge on our buildings and grounds.
The primary responsibilities of the Staff Accountant are to:
• Process accounts payable transactions, including but not limited to; assemble, review, and verify invoices and check requests, ensuring that payments are timely and accurate
• Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
• Prepare corporate credit card journal entries
• Assist with streamlining the current accounts payable functions to best business practices to improve efficiency and effectiveness of current processes
• Prepare and enter journal entries in Financial Edge for month-end close.
• Reconcile vendor statements, research invoices, or payment discrepancies, document,
and correct discrepancies
• Reconcile general ledger accounts and update schedules
• Assist with preparation of audit and Form 990 schedules
• Process annual 1099 forms
• Provide backup assistance to other accounting functions, as needed
• Assist with new system implementation.
• Maintain historical accounting and finance records by filing documents
• Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
• Assist with special projects, as needed
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
• A minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience, non-profit is highly preferred
• Proficiency in computerized accounting systems such as Intacct, Great Plains, or Blackbaud Financial Edge desired
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel (v-lookup, mid function, etc.) essential
• Excellent interpersonal skills with high initiative flexibility and team approach; must be comfortable working with staff at all levels across the organization
• Thorough, quality-conscious, and detailed-oriented
• Demonstrates job competencies in the following areas:
o problem solving, innovation/creativity, and adaptability
o oral and written communication
o teamwork, judgment, planning/organizing, and initiative
o productivity, high energy and self-motivation, and professionalism
o attendance/punctuality and dependability
o achievement-oriented with assignments and financial accountability
• Commitment to equity and social justice and proven ability to thrive in a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive environment
• Comfort working in a faith-based, multi-cultural, and diverse organization
• Monday-Friday, (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), 40 hours per week
Compensation: Please include salary expectations with resume. Position provided with our robust benefits package:
• Medical insurance (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium and 75% of eligible dependents)
• Optional dental and visions insurance plans
• Generous Paid Time Off plus ten holidays
• 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
• FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
• Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
• Life and short-term disability insurances, optional life insurance, and long-term disability plans
To apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Fourth Presbyterian Church is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.
Send your resume to this employer.