The New York City Housing Authority seeks an Administrative Accountant in the Revenue & Receivable Division. Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director of the Division, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the duties and responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
- In charge of the Authority’s Uncollected Accounts unit.
- Review and make recommendations regarding the Authority’s collection policies to comply with federal and local requirements.
- Responsible for managing the Authority’s contract with the collection attorney.
- Review and approve settlement of debts from former residents .
- Receive, review and submit collection referral requests from field staff to the collection attorney.
- Review write-offs to ensure compliance with the Authority’s policies.
- Maintain database of all public housing tenant cases referred to the collection attorney, which include but not limited to the arrear amount and payment information.
- Provide information on former tenant arrears for repayment.
- Provide debt satisfaction letters.
- Act as liaison with the collection attorney.
- Coordinate and provide information to various NYCHA Departments and external partners (HRA, HUD…)
- Respond to inquiries, in writing and oral, from former residents and other stakeholders.
- Prepare various reports relating to the collection activities.
NOTE: The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) held a filing period for an Education & Experience Exam (E&E) for the Administrative Accountant title from February 6, 2020 to February 26, 2020. Therefore, only those currently permanent in the title or have filed to take Exam 0162 will be considered for this position.
NOTE: IF THIS APPOINTMENT IS MADE ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS PURSUANT TO §65 OF THE NYS CIVIL SERVICE LAW, NO TENURE OR PERMANENCE ACCRUES TO AN INCUMBENT IN THIS POSITION BY VIRTUE OF SUCH APPOINTMENT.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, please click on the link below:
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the qualification requirements before applying to this position.