||May 21, 2020
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education
- Bachelor's in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting and related fields of study
- Four (4) years of budget program development, analysis and implementation experience in a large public or private organization, requiring review and analysis of subordinate organizational budget performance and program proposals
- Considerable management/high-level supervision over a comprehensive budgeting program for a major operating function. (preferably in a public transportation environment)
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting and related fields of study
The Manger Operating Budget is responsible for the origination, coordination and implementation of financial policies and procedures for the budget formulation, execution and monitoring for the offices under the Chief Operations Officer (COO) (Rail, Bus, Access Services, Facilities-Systems-Vertical Transportation, Budget, Performance & Planning, Supply Chain Management and Metro Transit Police). This role efficiently and effectively manages the consolidated, departmental, operating - annual and - long-range budgets, to include the presentation and justification of the resources required to achieve the goals and objectives of the department. The incumbent develops and implements uniform standardized budget and accounting practices within the COO offices and works with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to ensure practices are consistent with Authority-wide standards. The incumbent leads, manages and provides guidance and oversight to all COO offices in the analysis of budget variance and expenditure forecasts; development of effective performance criteria; management of resource utilization; cost evaluation of labor contract proposals and development of alternative methods to costing affecting the operating budget ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria:
- Leads and provides guidance to all department of COO budget staff in the development of the departmental annual and long-range budgets.
- Ensures that financial plans, budgets and programs are developed and ultimately proposed in the most economically efficient and financially sound manner.
- Manages the review, analysis and modification of departmental level proposed budgets to ensure sufficient justification, assessment of need for changes, and conformance with established guidelines and polices.
- Develops and prepares all departmental level operating budget program presentations for review by the Director, Operations Budget & Productivity, Chief Operations Officer executives, General Manager, Board of Directors and local jurisdictions.
- Ensures timely advice, direction and technical assistance on all aspects of the departmental operating budget formulation and execution processes to all levels of Department of COO management to ensure that all available financial resources are being maximized available.
- Creates departmental policy, guidelines and oversight procedures for the development, execution and reallocation processes within the COO to ensure that measures are in accordance with the guidelines established by the CFO and coordinated with the affected COO leadership.
- Manages the development of the monthly BudStat presentation to the COO and appropriate leaders and staff.
- Serves in a leadership capacity in a matrix management approach with personnel from all units within the COO Department (Rail, Bus, Access Services, Facilities-Systems-Vertical Transportation, Budget, Performance & Planning, Supply Chain Management and Metro Transit Police) to facilitate cost-benefit analyses of proposed program actions and ensure that requests substantially improve the achievement of WMATA objectives with more effective use of approve resources.
- Prepares and delivers written and verbal reports on the monthly financial results of the COO subsidized budget; to include expense results; variance from submitted annual budget; forecast by month for the remainder of the budget year; analysis of the variance for use by the COO to be submitted to the CFO.
- Manages special studies and analyses to effectively evaluate departmental organizational elements on a continuous basis to measure planned vs. actual budgetary expenditures, including bus and railcar cost per mile to determine appropriate resource allocation, and assessment of available financial resources.
- Directs, manages and supervises subordinate staff to include recommending applicant selection, disciplinary actions, resolution of grievances, assigning duties, directing work, approving leave requests and time sheets, and ensure appropriate subordinate training is provided.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by AccountingJobs.com -- © 1998-2020