|Date Posted||March 09, 2020|
The Accountant is responsible for the proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Kaiser Permanente policies, and internal control standards. Responsibilities include analyzing account transactions, preparing account reconciliations, resolving reconciling items, and preparing accounting statements and reports. Works with accounting team members, departments, and business units to resolve accounting matters. Develops solutions to accounting problems of simple to moderate scope and complexity. Reviews posting of automated, system-generated entries, ensures functionality of automated interfaces to GL and contributes to ongoing process and system improvements. Works under the direction of Senior Accountants and Lead Senior Accountants.
- Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, Kaiser Permanente policies and internal control standards.
- Prepares journal entries, including appropriate documentation.
- Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
- Prepares account reconciliations and reviews with Senior Accountant and Lead Senior Accountant.
- Prepares schedules, supporting documents, and variance analyses for management and external auditors.
- Collects data, researches and contributes to variance analysis.
- Participates in month end close activities.
- Researches and resolves accounting issues and reconciling items.
- Researches technical accounting solutions for business issues of simple to moderate complexity.
- Communicates issues and resolutions to management and affected areas/departments.
- Monitors work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
- Reviews posting of automated, system-generated entries.
- Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
- Identifies and communicates system problems to management.
- Utilizes tools such as system queries and downloads, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
- Participates in productivity, system and process improvements.
- Maintains desktop procedures and manuals.
- Participates in departmental projects and initiatives.
- Participates effectively in a team environment.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in budgeting, accounting, and financial management.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in business, finance, or accounting OR other bachelor's degree with four (4) years of directly related experience.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports.
- Aptitude for numbers, organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources and determine adequacy for financial reporting requirements for GAAP, Department of
Insurance and Department of Managed Health Care.
- Ability to build good internal relationships within the department and across department lines.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to assist with SOX compliance related to assigned accounting responsibilities.
- Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Health care or managed care experience.
- Experience in high volume processing centers.
- Ability to successfully navigate a matrix organization.
- Database (Access) skills.
- Lease accounting experience
Primary Location: California,Oakland,1950 Franklin 1950 FranklinScheduled Weekly Hours: 40Shift: DayWorkdays: Monday - FridayWorking Hours Start: 8:00 AMWorking Hours End: 5:00 PMJob Schedule: Full-timeJob Type: StandardEmployee Status: RegularEmployee Group/Union Affiliation: Salaried, Non-Union, ExemptJob Level: Individual ContributorJob Category: Accounting, Finance and Actuarial ServicesDepartment: Lease Reporting GroupTravel: NoKaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.