|February 12, 2024
Tropical Foods has sales and distribution offices in Orlando, Atlanta, Washington DC, Nevada, Dallas and Charlotte, NC. Our SQF, Kosher and organic production facility in Charlotte roasts nuts & seeds daily and blends over 60 bulk snack mixes. These facilities also package and re-box many of our items to meet our customers’ varied needs. Charlotte is our corporate headquarters, and is home to purchasing, accounting, and sales & marketing offices.
The staff accountant assists the Accounting Manager in the preparation and issuance of the Company’s Financial Statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. The position is also responsible for various support duties within the accounting/finance department to help the company achieve its goals and objectives.
This position will be working from our Charlotte Office.
· Own key processes surrounding the company’s month-end close:
o Weekly and monthly journal entries with appropriate support.
o Prepare and post monthly accruals including financial estimates.
o Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for all primary assets and liability accounts including cash, inventory, prepaids, accounts payable/RNI, and miscellaneous accrual accounts.
· Aid in the preparation for and completion of the annual financial statement audit.
· Maintain fixed asset register including depreciation, additions, disposals, and gains/losses on sales of fixed assets.
· File monthly, quarterly, and annual sales tax filings for all applicable states and process electronically on state portals.
· Track and file annual business license compliance requirements.
· Document and update department SOPs to reflect current processes or as changes are made to processes.
· Cross-train on critical AP and AR processes (Metaviewer, High Radius) to support as needed.
· Support the company credit card program and the related reporting and postings.
· Participate in the development of and the ongoing use of month-end close automation tools (High Radius Autonomous Accounting) and develop new ways to deliver value from it.
· Support the maintenance of accurate standard costs in the company ERP (Microsoft Dynamics GP) for both materials and labor.
· Develop contract matrix to summarize key terms of various business contracts to appropriately assess and mitigate risks,
· Participate in the semi-annual physical inventory process and help drive improvements to the cycle counting program to reduce need for multiple physical inventories.
· Support in the creation of a rolling forecast model to better inform business of forward P&L expectations to help drive both P&L and balance sheet efficiencies.
Aid in the process improvement opportunities with cross-functional teams – receiving, shipping/warehousing, operations, supply chain – to ensure financial information is accurate and key processes are adhered to.
· Help support the development of robust weekly P&L process to capture key operational variances such as material usage, labor rate/efficiency variances, PPV, and others.
· Aid in the weekly preparation of support reports.
· Participate in the budgeting and forecasting process.
· Stay up to date with changes in laws, regulations, and industry trends related to US GAAP and tax law, and apply this knowledge in your work.
· In keeping with our value of Customer Satisfaction, this position is expected to provide high-quality customer service to our internal and external customers, vendors, and others alike.
· Adheres to company Policy and Procedures.
· Performs duties as workload necessitates.
· Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
· Communicates regularly with supervisor and about department issues.
· Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize.
· Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform duties of position.
· Meets department productivity standards.
· May perform other duties as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
Scope of Responsibility
· This job will have periodic access to confidential data including financial statements, company records and/or minutes, customer quotes, product costs, and company plans, designs, and/or programs.
· This job follows standard practices and procedures and is expected to accomplish work assignments with a limited amount of supervision.
· This is not a supervisory of direct reports position.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
· Language Ability: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Ability to read and understand English.
· Math Ability: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest rates, commissions, proportions, and other basic algebra concepts.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to work in deadline driven environment.
· Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite with expert knowledge of MS Excel (all native functionality), MS Dynamics GP a plus.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from accredited four-year College or University; and 1-3 years related experience in public accounting or manufacturing; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Manufacturing experience a plus.
· CPA license or path to CPA preferred.
- Affordable healthcare (medical/dental/vision)
- Opportunity to participate in the Health Savings Account (HSA), Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Short Term Disability Insurance paid by the company
- Basic life Insurance equals to your annual salary paid by the company
- Employee Assistance Program – paid by the company
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- The opportunity to purchase additional voluntary insurance coverage for:
- Life Insurance
- Whole Life
- Prepaid Legal
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- 8 Paid Holidays per year
- 401-k Plan (eligible after 6 months of employment)
About Truly Good Foods
Truly Good Foods is a second-generation family owned business. Our company was founded in 1977 by Jerry and Betty York and is now run by their two daughters, Angela Bauer and Carolyn Bennett. Proud to be a women-owned company, Truly Good Foods is certified in the WBENC and the WOSB. We start by sourcing the highest quality ingredients and then create snacks and mixes bursting with the bold flavors you love. With more than 3,000 snacks in our product line, Truly Good Foods is the ideal snack partner for your business.