|February 12, 2024
People are the heart of our business. As an American Water employee, you will be offered a competitive salary and health benefits package, along with opportunities to develop, grow, and evolve your career. Our benefits packages focus on key areas such as health & wellness, emotional & well-being, and savings for current & future goals.
We are Beautifully Different. We strongly believe having diversity across our company makes us more successful and helps us provide essential services to our customers. We are stronger because we embrace different ideas, viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. American Water is the best choice for your next role! Click here for more information on our inclusion, diversity, and equity journey.
About American Water
American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the largest regulated water and wastewater utility company in the United States. With a history dating back to 1886, We Keep Life Flowing® by providing safe, clean, reliable and affordable drinking water and wastewater services to more than 14 million people across 14 regulated jurisdictions and 18 military installations. American Water’s 6,500 talented professionals leverage their significant expertise and the company’s national size and scale to achieve excellent outcomes for the benefit of customers, employees, investors and other stakeholders.
As one of the fastest growing utilities in the U.S., American Water expects to invest $30 to $34 billion in infrastructure repairs and replacement, system resiliency and regulated acquisitions over the next 10 years. The company has a long-standing history of executing its core operations, aligned with sustainable best practices, through its commitments to safety, affordability, customer service, protecting the environment, an inclusive workforce and strengthening communities.
American Water has been recognized on the 2023 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Indexfor the fifth consecutive year, ranked 18th on Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable U.S. Companies 2023 List, earned the U.S. Department of Homeland Security SAFETY Act designation and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense® Excellence Award, among additional state, local and national recognitions.
For more information, visit amwater.com and join American Water on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Do you have a passion for Accounting? American Water is seeking a full time Accountant that possess a Bachelor's Degree in Finance OR Accounting. If you have experience with SAP, Hyperion OR Blackline, then please apply today for immediate consideration!
Responsible for the compilation and analysis of accounting/financial information within the Fixed Assets (Plant Accounting) Department for the American Water subsidiaries as assigned, and the maintenance of complete and accurate subsidiary general ledgers.
Assists in the consolidation process and provides reporting support and other services to the External Reporting, Financial Analysis and Decision Support, Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Tax and Rates Support/Regulatory Operations teams.
- Provide accounting for all fixed asset related activity to include asset additions, retirements, depreciation, cost of removal, and salvage.
- Prepares journal entries and assists in analyzing financial results and variances, ensuring completeness and accuracy of the subsidiary general ledgers.
- Prepares account reconciliations, including the timely investigation and resolution of discrepancies and reconciling items.
- Provides reporting support, information and analysis to assist in consolidation and the External Reporting team’s fulfillment of the Company’s quarterly and annual SEC reporting requirements.
- Assists in the preparation of quarterly and annual subsidiary financial statements and state commission reporting requirements, ensuring compliance with US GAAP, state-specific utility regulation, internal controls and Company policies and practices.
- Assists the Rates Support team in fulfilling rate case requests and analyses for filings and/or other reporting requirement reports.
- Interfaces/liaises with the Capital Administration, Financial Analysis and Decision Support, Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Cash/Treasury, Accounts Payable, Call Center Operations and Tax teams, providing information on accounting and reporting matters.
- Assists with special projects and initiatives to optimize the effectiveness of existing business applications, technologies and systems and to build efficiencies/improvements into current business processes.
- Prior public accounting, corporate and/or multi-subsidiary company experience a plus.
- Prior experience working in the utility industry and knowledge of regulatory accounting a plus.
- Knowledge and prior experience working with SAP, PowerPlan, Hyperion, Blackline, SharePoint a plus.
- Knowledge of fundamental accounting/analytical concepts and financial analysis.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of advanced Microsoft Excel functionalities (i.e. pivot and look-up tables, etc.) a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, systemic and problem solving skills, including the ability to work in teams or effectively work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on initiative, knowledge sharing, team building and decision making.
- Know, understand and follow departmental and company policies and procedures, and contacts that govern the work environment.
- Assist in creating a positive, predictable work environment by communicating effectively with colleagues, supervisors, and managers.
- Participate in and contribute to the culture and environment in a positive
- and professional manner by collaborating with colleagues, offering suggestions, accepting feedback, resolving problems and being productive with the strategies of the organization in mind.
- Strive to achieve agreed upon goals, accept direction, offer and receive feedback in a constructive manner and communicate effectively to the betterment of the work environment.
- Possess the acumen of the subject matter and capacity to expand this knowledge based on professional dynamics.
- Collaborate with the team, disseminate essential communications and delegate tasks and follow ups to ensure desired results, driving toward meeting deadlines.
- Communicate with collaborators and follow up, and ensure operational effectiveness within the department.
- Involved with acclimating, assisting, developing and mentoring other lesser experienced professional within the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Modern day professional office environment.
- Hybrid work schedule.