|January 30, 2024
Tenaska is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States, an organization that’s adept in natural gas and power marketing, power management, development and acquisition of generation assets, operation of power plants and more.
The Financial Accountant will be an integral part of the monthly financial reporting process. As part of this process, the Financial Accountant will prepare reconciliations, journal entries, financial statements, and internal and regulatory reports. This position will have a high level of interaction with other departments to understand how trade and contract terms impact financial statement results.
Essential Job Functions:
- Daily accounting tasks, such as payment entries, database entries, and journal entries
- Prepare tax and regulatory filings
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations and financial analyses
- Prepare assigned journal entries and associated supporting schedules
- Assist with various internal and external audits
- Communicate with employees and management at all levels on issues related to accounting procedures and processes to ensure proper accounting treatment
- Prepare and update various management reports, typically in spreadsheets
- Develop a strong understanding of internal trading and settlement applications and the electricity settlement process to assist with preparation and review of invoices, statements and reconciliations
- Demonstrate an understanding of key accounting concepts and processes relevant to the accuracy and timeliness of reporting and proactively report potential issues to supervisor
- Other projects as assigned
- Initiative - Self-starting rather than waiting passively until a situation demands action. Spots opportunities within a circle of influence, anticipates threats, and acts on them. Commits to creating and searching for new and innovative approaches to activities that enhance performance.
- Customer Focus – Anticipates customer needs, and gives high priority to customer satisfaction and customer service. Accepts responsibility for results, proactively seeking to resolve customer challenges by problem solving inside and outside the department/organization.
- Communication - Candid, clear and concise in communication, effectively matching style, tone and method to audience. Listens, asks appropriate questions when necessary, and asks for help when needed. Communicates information to others in a positive and professional manner. Keeps manager and teammates up to date on current and outstanding issues.
- Teamwork - Maintains a positive and optimistic attitude at work and towards teammates and is “team first” in approach. Contributes proactively in team meetings and assists team members with tasks, as needed. Looks for tasks to complete or information to learn during slower times. Incorporates a high level of courtesy when scheduling time out of the office.
- Quality Orientation - Setting high standards regarding his/her work and working environment and acting accordingly; developing quality standards, continuously evaluating performance, products, and procedures; actively seeking ways to improve quality.
- Data Gathering & Analysis - Traces possible causes of problems and searches for practical data/solutions. Gains an understanding of a given situation or problem by combining information that is readily available. Identifies patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Excel
- Ability to multi-task; prioritize and organize a variety of tasks
- Detail oriented
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Desire to learn and understand the electric power industry
Ability to use standard office equipment such as PC, telephone, calculator, printer, copy and fax machines. Position may require extended work hours on short notice. All work will be performed in an indoor office environment and may require extended periods of sitting, standing and bending and typing/data entry. The job may also include driving, and airline travel. Travel may be required to attend meetings in other office buildings including local and domestic.
At Tenaska we care about the wellbeing of our employees and their families. That’s why we offer our employees a comprehensive benefit package. Benefits included below:
- Health, dental, vison, disability, and life insurance
- Excellent 401(k) plan
- Incentive-based, competitive salary packages
- Health/dependent care flex accounts
- Tuition assistance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Adoption benefits
- Employee assistance program
- Paid vacations and holidays
- Generous sick leave
- Charitable giving program
- Paid maternity/paternity leave
- Wellness programs
Tenaska is an equal opportunity employer.