Senior Staff Accountant
Legal Action Center
New York, New York
|Date Posted||September 05, 2023|
The primary function of the job involves preparing financial reports, vouchers, and billing/invoices for payment. The Sr. Staff Accountant will ensure that financial records, reports, vouchers, billings, time/leaves, and any other financial records are maintained in compliance with funder, auditor, agency, and regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a proven track record of accuracy, attention to detail, and a commitment to delivering exceptional accounting work while meeting deadlines.
The position is based in New York City. LAC has instituted a hybrid work model that includes the opportunity to work some of the time remotely. COVID-19 vaccination and booster are required as a condition of employment.
- Review and approve journal entries.
- Maintain the general ledger.
- Manage monthly closing of all accounting systems, G/L, A/P, and A/R.
- Develop governmental budgets, including budget modifications.
- Monitor and review monthly and quarterly accounting reports to external funders.
- Ensure fiscal compliance with government contracts.
- Review and update the fiscal operations manual.
- Prepare schedules for and manage annual agency audits.
- Prepare monthly departmental reports, as well as quarterly financial reports for the Board of Directors.
- Assist the CFO in preparing and conducting “budget to actual” meetings with Program Directors.
- Supervise payroll/timekeeping activities.
- Manage time reporting activities by developing allocation percentages consistent with the budget.
- Prepare the Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR).
- Support the CFO on all financial matters.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience - the salary range is $80,000 to $85,000 per year. Excellent benefits, including medical insurance, 403(b) plan with employer contribution, and flexible pre-tax benefits.
Please email a cover letter and resume (no calls) to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Senior Staff Accountant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Legal Action Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Members of LAC’s stakeholder populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization: LAC uses legal and policy strategies to fight discrimination, build health equity, and restore opportunities for people with conviction records, substance use disorders, and HIV or AIDS. With offices in New York City and Washington, D.C., LAC uses a multi-faceted approach that includes impact litigation, legal services, education, and policy advocacy to effectuate its mission and create systemic change. A national leader in fighting mass incarceration, LAC works to expand alternatives to incarceration, connect individuals in the criminal legal system to health care services, and reduce barriers to reentry in employment, housing, and higher education. In addition, LAC’s two newly created positions of Director of Community of Engagement and Equity Officer will help ensure the centering of individuals and communities directly impacted by mass incarceration and health inequity in all aspects of LAC’s work and LAC’s fulfillment of its commitment to addressing racial justice and equity.
For 50 years, LAC has fought to dismantle systemic barriers that perpetuate racial disparities in health, justice, and opportunities. LAC’s litigation and legal services program has established cutting-edge legal precedents and provided free legal services to tens of thousands of individuals, helping them to overcome discrimination and privacy violations in various walks of life, including employment, housing, education, and health care. Learn more about LAC’s approach, priority areas, and special projects, including No Health = No Justice, CHAMP, Parity for All, and the Black Harm Reduction Network, by exploring our website.