Sacramento Municipal Utility District
|Date Posted||May 24, 2023|
Title: Senior Accountant
Department: General Accounting
Sacramento, CA, US, 95817-1899
Minimum Pay Rate: $100,176.00
Maximum Pay Rate: $132,720.00
Apply by Date: 06/07/2023
Posting Type: Open
This is an individual contributor position mainly responsible for the senior level tasks of the Accounts Receivable Other (ARO), Commodities and Revenue section of General Accounting including review of ARO invoices and may be assigned a lead role on projects undertaken by the team.
This position works on a hybrid schedule with a required two days onsite work every week.
This recruitment process will be used to fill one(1) regular full-time position AND create an eligibility list which may be used to fill regular full-time or limited term position over the next two(2) years.
This position will lead and/or supervise the day-to-day financial activities and operations within a segment of the Accounting Department.
Nature and Scope
Lead and/or supervises the day-to-day financial accounting activities and operations of an assigned SMUD section, including but not limited to, the Cash Management Section, Accounts payable Section, Payroll or A/R Non-Electric Section; performs a variety of professional accounting functions including the preparation of financial and income statements, records and reports supporting SMUD’s Joint Power Agencies (JPA); and ensures proper reporting of revenues, expenses, receivables and payables for all SMUD power purchases and wholesale power sales. May be responsible for selecting, training, motivating, evaluating and development of subordinate personnel and ensures that department strategic objectives and priorities are achieved and coordinated with other departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads or supervises the daily financial accounting activities and operations of an assigned SMUD section; explores and implements ways to increase productivity and improve efficiency within the assigned area.
- Monitors all cashiering and banking activities; reviews daily postings of cash transactions, clearing of general ledger cash accounts, and monthly bank reconciliations; monitors cash controls by reviewing daily reconciliation of incoming cash to bank deposits and SAP reports.
- Maintains integrity of the general ledger by verifying, classifying and recording SMUD’s incoming cash transactions in accordance with GAAP and FERC guidelines; reviews journal vouchers to ensure such postings.
- Provides proper cost controls over operations/maintenance by ensuring contract compliance of vendor requests for payment; utilizes available discounts.
- Ensures that all major contracts include proper terms and conditions; reviews contracts made available before commitments are made; identifies new requirements for contractual documents or contract/purchase order reporting as mandated by management or legislation; implements necessary changes.
- Oversees the review of invoices to assure compliance with terms of contracts and purchase orders; provides for timely payments to vendors.
- Prepares and processes invoices for proper and timely accounting of contract settlements, insurance claims, mandated Energy Efficiency activities, and a variety of other accounts receivable.
- Provides support to SMUD departments for new products, services, and contracts for billing, revenue reporting, and sales tax reporting; verifies and updates SMUD Project Management orders and work authorizations for proper billing and property unitization.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains computerized databases and manual logbooks with supporting documentation of SMUD invoices, internal orders, work authorizations, PM orders, PM notifications, DOMSI and SAP.
- Maintains, verifies and properly records accounts receivable general ledger accounts, department reports, statements, journal vouchers and SAP processes in order to provide reliable support services; verifies reports, statements, and the posting of Energy Efficiency accounts receivable.
- Establishes and maintains records for assigned SMUD JPA; interprets and follows requirements of complex JPA contracts; creates and maintains chart of accounts, complex computer files, spreadsheets for subsidiary ledgers, and agency’s financial records; maintains financial funds/accounts per agreements.
- Maintains financial records according to GAAP, FERC and contractual agreements; records all bond related costs and unrealized holding gains or losses on investments; reclassifies prepaid revenues and expenses as current; accrues expenses and records cash receipts and disbursements; reconciles general ledger accounts and bank accounts.
- Prepares financial statements with budget variance analysis and management reports according to GAAP and contractual agreements for management, bond engineer, and the financial community.
- Maintains detailed records of joint power agencies' income and payments and prepares schedules to recognize revenues/expenses; provides treasury staff monthly revenue allocation report to assist in investment decisions.
- Provides accurate financial statements, government reports and statistical information on a timely basis; ensures proper reporting of revenues, expenses, receivables and payables for all SMUD power purchases and wholesale power sales.
- Ensures that all energy transactions have been performed and accounted for in accordance with GAAP, FERC, and GASB guidelines; coordinates and resolves energy transaction discrepancies with other departments.
- Performs related duties as required.
BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university majoring Accounting, Finance or other closely related field.
Required Experience Qualifications
Five or more (5+) years of progressively responsible experience in financial accounting.
Principles and practices of public agency financial management including general and governmental accounting, budgeting, auditing, and reporting functions as well as GAAP and GASB guidelines; principles, systems and concepts related to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) accounting; SMUD accounting systems (SAP) and procedures, both manual and automated; methods and techniques of cash handling and management; principles and practices of automated financial systems; procedures related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, and joint participation agreements; federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations related to accounting, financial reporting and rate regulation issues; principles of lead supervision, training, and performance evaluation; principles and procedures of record keeping; principles of business letter writing and report preparation; characteristics and operational needs of various organizational units; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Lead, organize, and review the work of staff in an assigned section; independently perform professional accounting assignments; examine and verify financial documents, reports, and transactions; prepare a variety of budgets, financial statements, reports, and analyses in conformance with GAAP and established policies and procedures; analyze, post, balance, and reconcile financial data, ledgers, and accounts; analyze and interpret financial data and recognize accounts that need detailed investigation; interpret and analyze electronic, technical accounting and tax data; perform mathematical calculations; interpret technical accounting information and complex Joint Power Agreements; understand the organization and operation of SMUD and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities; understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures as well as applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations; prepare clear and concise reports; plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines; coordinate the work of the assigned section with other SMUD entities; develop and implement new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the area of responsibility; operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
- Two (2+) or more years of lead or supervisory responsibility
- Active CPA license
Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers. Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD celebrates diversity, and inspires an inclusive culture based on trust and respect to create belonging and connection among our employees, customers, and communities. By working together, we are powering positive, equitable opportunities for all. We aspire to be a workplace where you can be yourself, achieve your best, and thrive together.
An example of our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging is when SMUD signed the California Equal Pay Pledge in 2020. This requires equal pay for employees who perform “substantially similar work,” when viewed as a composite of skill, effort, and responsibility at the time those employees started within that classification. As such, initial hiring salary range is not subject to negotiation and salaries will vary over time based on performance.
SMUD is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristic. All employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications, merit, and business needs and interests.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
This position works on a hybrid schedule with a required two days onsite work every week.
SMUD provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SMUD complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
SMUD expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of SMUD employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.