Staff Accountant II
|Date Posted||May 22, 2023|
What's cool about this job
We are seeking two detail-oriented and organized individual to join our accounting team as a Staff Accountant II. One of the roles will primarily focus on cash accounting and the other will be focused on fixed asset accounting, depending on the specific needs of our organization.
This job contributes to REI’s success by reviewing, balancing, and posting corporate financial data to the general ledger in an accurate and timely manner. General responsibilities include: Performing month-end closing activities and account reconciliations, preparing monthly standard journal entries, cross-divisional collaboration to research accounting questions, maintaining balance sheet schedules, analyzing general ledger account balances to determine accuracy and completeness of entries, report generation and review, data organization and management, and researching and posting account corrections in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal account definitions.
This position must have an excellent understanding of the technical and financial implications of the associated processes and can identify and resolve non-complex issues independently. Organization, attention to detail, and communication are critical to the success of this role. The ideal candidate will initiate, develop, and implement process improvements as well as model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Performs month-end closing activities.
- Reviews, balances, and posts corporate financial data from multiple systems into the general ledger.
- Accrues, defers, and amortizes costs in accordance with GAAP.
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts; identifies and resolves discrepant items.
- Works cross-divisionally to research questions about financial information and posts correcting entries in accordance with GAAP and internal account definitions.
- Analyzes financial information to provide insight to management and to ensure material accuracy.
- Generates custom and ad hoc reports as requested by management.
- Identifies issues and brings inconsistencies to the attention of management. Takes ownership and drives development and implementation of solutions.
- Maintains awareness of all activities and issues that could impact daily operations and service levels.
- Recommends and helps develop and implement workflow improvements within their areas of responsibility.
- Solid understanding of internal controls related to accounting and reporting. Responsible for ensuring adequate internal controls within accounting and works with other teams to ensure adequate controls exist for processes that impact accounting.
- Demonstrates excellent time management skills and effectively prioritizes competing responsibilities with minimal oversight; ensures deliverables are completed timely.
- Participates in ad hoc projects and assignments as needed
Fixed Asset Accounting:
- Updates and maintains the fixed asset register per REI’s capitalization policy; retires out-of-service assets in a timely manner.
- Works directly with stakeholders on capital budget requests and spend analysis; interprets the capitalization policy as it pertains to specific capital projects.
- Prepares supporting documentation for fixed assets, tax filings, reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Partners with Sales and Customer Support, Retail Operations, and other business units.
- Manages our Retail Cash function.
- Works closely with the Payments and Treasury teams.
- Responsible for recording adjustments to investment balances.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 1+ years accounting or bookkeeping experience
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Demonstrates firm understanding of how to apply GAAP to general ledger accounting
- Consistently demonstrates analytical and problem-solving skills
- Collaborative work style
- Ability to consolidate information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple projects and processes simultaneously
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Assumes positive intent and starts from a place of respect when interacting with colleagues
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
- Understanding of the fixed-assets accounting cycle
- In the process of obtaining CPA license
- Thorough understanding of multiple financial systems
- Experience analyzing informational data in an ERP system
- SAP experience
As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
The pay for this role is: $57,300 - $86,100 per year .
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer