Iowa State University
|Date Posted||May 22, 2023|
Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of related experience
Experience with month end close requiring variance analysis and journal entries, reporting.
Experience developing detailed and complex financial reports.
Experience using analysis tools such as spreadsheets and databases.
Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting.
Experience showing knowledge of state and federal regulations and GAPP standards.
Performs professional accounting work of a moderately complex nature. Thoroughly understands institutional, state, and federal policies, procedures, and restrictions. Ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles in executing, analyzing, verifying, and reporting transactions of a fiscal nature. Advises management regarding the effective use of resources and methods to maximize earnings. Monitors records of past and present operations. May serve as a project leader.
Example of Duties
• Provides specialized or general calculations and analysis support in various accounting functions.
• Prepares moderately complex reports, statements, analyses, and interpretation utilizing advanced knowledge and proficiency in accounting practices, principles, and interrelationships for both management and outside agencies.
• Recommends alternatives to management when accounting data indicates trends or situations requiring action to be taken beyond the scope of responsibilities.
• Establishes or revises procedures or operating policies of assigned function.
• Participates in the development and implementation of new or revised accounting systems.
• Reviews accounting and reporting systems, procedures, and completed assignments of other staff to ensure compliance with university or outside agency regulations.
• Reviews and controls accounts and records to ensure accuracy, proper documentation, and compliance with all pertinent procedures and regulations.
• Reviews and adjusts funds or accounts such as cash or federal funds.
• Prepares complex journal entries and records composite entries.
• Adjusts to changing needs of university operations or need to provide specialized or individualized reports.
• Balances complex federal, local or state reports, and tax returns.
• Researches, analyzes, and uses independent judgment in a variety of daily and non-routine decisions affecting assigned function.
• Researches and evaluates new or changed accounting principles and practices.
• Conducts training for campus users.
• Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals
• Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems
• Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests
• May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff
• May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity
• Provides guidance to students
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
12 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following: 1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae 2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485. Why Choose ISU? Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as: • Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans • Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans • Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa) • Life insurance and long-term disability • Flexible Spending Accounts • Various voluntary benefits and discounts • Employee Assistance Program • Wellbeing program • This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.
Original Posting Date:
May 22, 2023
Posting Close Date:
June 4, 2023
Job Requisition Number: