Principal Accountant, External Financial Reporting
|Date Posted||February 28, 2023|
OFFICE OF THE UNIVERSITY CONTR (UA-CTRO-IUBLA)
The Office of the University Controller (UCO) provides leadership and guidance for financial compliance, systems and services at Indiana University. We strive to be a leader in higher education by embracing financial best practices, continuous improvement and by creating a culture of respect, integrity and collaboration. As an organization, we value knowledge and diversity in our people, thoughts and ideas. While our department serves all seven IU campuses, we are physically located on the Bloomington Campus.
The Principal Accountant, External Financial Reporting is responsible for analyzing financial statement transactions and variances and developing reporting to aid in monitoring the accuracy of the University’s financial statement activity. This position requires the application of GAAP and GASB to determine the appropriate accounting treatment of significant accounting transactions and contracts.
- Serves as a point of contact for the annual year-end audit related to significant transactions and account fluctuations and provides supporting documentation to external auditors.
- Supports and participates in the University’s external audit of the annual financial statements, ad hoc financial reporting projects, as well as internal controls projects that are part of UCO’s strategic initiatives.
- Responsible for significant financial and transaction analysis of the University, which includes:
- Developes an understanding of significant financial transactions of the University and related drivers for changes in financial statement line items.
- Coordinates with the constituent reporting units (CRUs), related departments, Campus Controllers, and University administration (as applicable) to obtain supporting documentation and analyze drivers related to financial statement line items.
- Analyzes significant financial activity for proper accounting treatment under authoritative guidance including GAAP and GASB.
- Assists in GASB compliance by reading Statements and producing first drafts for position papers.
- Creates monthly financial reporting packages containing variance analysis and serve as the point of contact for questions regarding monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement line-item fluctuations (both at the CRU and consolidated financial reporting levels).
- Developes analytical reports/tools (forensic accounting) with the use of certain tools (Power BI, Tableau, etc.) to assist in the identification of financial statement line-item drivers.
- Prepares and documentes certain journal entries, core processes, and work papers during the year-end audit.
- Prepares, documentes, and reviews of financial statement note disclosures and analyzing and adjusting university-wide financial data, as needed.
- Applies Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Performs more complex accounting assignments requiring advanced professional experience, knowledge, and competency in accounting principle and practices to safeguard the organization's financial resources and ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, laws, and reporting requirements.
- Establishes and maintains accounting policies and controls, fiscal controls, and financial reports.
- Prepares, reviews, and provides interpretation of complex reports and analyses for manager and officers.
- Submits recommendations for improved operations.
- Oversees and assists with specialized accounting assignments such as the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial activity.
- Provides work leadership to lower-level accounting employees.
- Bachelor's degree Accounting, or related field
- 5 years relevant experience
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Indiana license or Indiana license eligible
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Possesses a high degree of initiative
- Ability to influence internal and/or external constituents
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Analytical ability and a high level of numerical competence.
- Proficiency in IT and demonstrated skill in using Excel to produce financial reports.
- Ability to reconcile financial ledgers and process accounts payable/receivable.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage deadlines.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to communicate effectively.
Working Conditions / Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
This position is eligible for remote work or a hybrid schedule (mix between remote and in-person work), subject to change based on university policy and the department's business needs.
$82,000 - $85,000 annually, depending upon qualifications
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.
Career Level: Advanced
Job Function: Finance
Job Family: Accounting & Tax
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.
- Health insurance