Accountant, General Ledger
Alterra Mountain Company
|Date Posted||November 23, 2022|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
AUTHENTICITY | PASSION | COMMUNITY | INNOVATION | ADVENTURE
Alterra Mountain Company is a family of 15 iconic year-round mountain destinations, the world’s largest heli-skiing operation, and Ikon Pass - the premier ski and snowboard season pass offering access to more than 50 iconic mountain destinations around the world.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado and born out of a shared love of the mountains and adventure, the company has brought together some of the world’s most aspirational brands, including: Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Palisades Tahoe, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton Mountain and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec and Blue Mountain in Ontario, Canada; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Also included in the portfolio is Alpine Aerotech, a worldwide helicopter support and maintenance service center in British Columbia, Canada, and Aspenware, the ski industry leader in technology services and e-commerce, and Ski Butlers, the global leader in ski and snowboard rental delivery.
A career with Alterra Mountain Company is more than what you do today; it’s being part of creating a community rooted in the spirit of the mountains, united by a passion for adventure, and celebrating the legendary adventures and enduring memories that mountains bring to everyone.
BESIDES WORKING SOMEWHERE AWESOME, WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free Ikon Pass for all eligible employees, with additional free skiing + riding privileges across the family of Alterra Mountain Company resorts for all eligible employees and their dependents
- Discounted skiing + riding for friends and family of eligible employees across the family of Alterra Mountain Company Resorts
- Flexible Time Off (FTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) policies for eligible employees to rest, relax and recharge
- Generous discounts on outdoor gear, apparel, rental cars, etc.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs, and more
- 401(k) plan with generous company match
- Discounted tuition with partner online university for all Alterra Mountain Company employees to further their education
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees
- Commuter benefits (Denver employees only)
- Flexible/hybrid workplace policy empowering employees to work from home while encouraging regular in-person collaboration in our dog-friendly company headquarters office located in Denver’s RiNo Art District neighborhood
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
The General Ledger Accountant position will be responsible for a variety of accounting functions relating to Alterra Mountain Company resorts including coordinating and executing monthly general ledger processes and performing advanced accounting tasks.
- Responsible for all accounting, reporting and GL maintenance for individual resorts and entities as assigned in accordance with US GAAP.
- Ensure a complete and accurate month-end close process within established deadlines of the company.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Develop an understanding the business and how recurring and non-recurring transactions have and will affect the balance sheet.
- Prepare adjusting journal entries as proposed by corporate departments and resort contacts and submit appropriate supporting documentation with those entries.
- Act as a liaison between resort and other accounting and finance groups to ensure complete and accurate communication of financial data.
- Communicate effectively with a large and diverse accounting team.
- Prepare audit schedules and provide audit support and assist the auditors in their inquiries. Perform variance analyses, identify and resolve unusual variances through investigation and communication with resort personnel.
- Take initiative to investigate reconciling items, or discrepancies and contact the appropriate individuals to gather information in order to propose and implement solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Must possess and in-depth working knowledge of GAAP, month-end close processes, general and operational accounting
- Proficient with ERP systems
- Working knowledge of D365 and/or OneStream is a plus
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to effectively interact with all levels throughout the organization
- Success at building relationships and collaborating cross-functionally across the organization
- High attention to detail and accuracy, and able to work under minimal supervision
- Proven ability to independently resolve issues and recommend process improvements
- Team player that will approach challenges in a high-pressure environment with enthusiasm
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 4-year degree required; BS in Accounting or Finance preferred
- 2+ years of experience in public accounting or equivalent industry experience required
- Relevant experience within a large, multi-national, complex corporate organization related to consolidations is preferred
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc.’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term and long-term incentives and many region-specific benefits.
Denver area base salary range: $57,000 - $84,000 per year
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see, hear, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
Indoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to harsh and varying outside weather conditions.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: The noise level in the workplace is usually moderate.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions and responsibilities that an employee may be required to perform in this position. Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates reserve the right to modify, increase, decrease, suspend, and or eliminate any of the essential duties and/or the position in its entirety.
This job description is not an express or implied contract, guarantee, promise, or covenant of employment for any set term or duration, or for termination only for cause.
Employment with Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. or any of its affiliates is “at will” meaning either party may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
This position is located in Colorado, and the work is primarily in Denver, CO and, as such, employment in this position is subject to the labor and employment laws of the state of Colorado.
Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain drug-free workplaces. All employees and candidates are reminded that Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates adhere to all applicable labor and employment laws, and State, County, and City-specific labor and employment regulations, where applicable.