Senior Treasury and Fund Accountant
Washington, District of Columbia
|Date Posted||November 11, 2022|
Senior Treasury and Fund Accountant, Managed Organizations Finance (Durham, NC or Washington, DC)
- Record monthly investment activity for a variety of publicly traded and privately held investments using Arabella’s internal investment accounting and general ledger software
- Prepare/review monthly cash and investment account reconciliations
- Assist in project management of ongoing DAF investment process creation and strategy
- Coordinate with investment advisor(s) to onboard DAFs, support creation of asset allocation for new portfolios, and monitor investment advisor compliance with those allocations
- Support the IT team in system enhancements related to the DAF sponsor entity
- Maintain and update organizational documents for DAF sponsor entity, including but not limited to the Investment Policy Statement and Gift Acceptance Policy
- Maintain and update processes and procedures related to DAF activity including but not limited to cash management, investment operations, and investment accounting
- Support creation of entity level and DAF level financial statements and statement delivery and communication process for a variety of stakeholders
- Support creation and dissemination of investment performance reports for a variety of stakeholders
- Assist the Treasury Managers with innovation initiatives related to Treasury as necessary
- Oversee the work of accounting associates and staff accountants to ensure compliance with established processes and controls
- Pull selections and perform internal testing to assist with the annual audit for each Managed Organization
- Encourage and lead team learning activities, focused on the development of technical skills for junior staff necessary to provide high quality service to a diverse portfolio of clients
- Work with Treasury Managers regarding personnel decision making for reporting business cycle
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Experience participating in the management of donor-advised funds and/or philanthropic operations, systems, and grant programs
- Fund accounting experience and experience recording various investment activities, with an understanding of multiple investment types and their GAAP fair market value recording
- 3-5 years of direct client service experience, in any multifaceted, complex environment
- Project management experience with cross team partners
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze financial data and communicate information to various stakeholders for decision-making
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
- Ability to anticipate service challenges and proactively address them
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Excellent skills using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience or interest in charitable investments
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective
- The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
- A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
- The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
- The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.?
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.?
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 16?days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive?cultural and?religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
While this position must be based in Durham, NC or Washington, DC Please note that all Arabella Advisors’ offices have reopened, and we work in a hybrid environment.
We reopened our offices in Summer of 2022 and work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. We expect that after their initial onboarding, all Arabellans will have the choice of two hybrid schedules. Our hybrid schedule options include Flex, with 1-2 days per week in the office, or Office-based, with 3+ days per week in the office (or more if preferred) and the remaining days working at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.