Position: General Accountant (Full time #527249)
Property / Office: Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the worlds’ finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations.
Set at the heart of the US capital between Maine and Maryland Avenues and 12th and 14th Streets, SW, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC has redefined luxury in the city. Just streets away from the nation’s most revered monuments and the Smithsonian Institution, the hotel is also within easy reach of Capitol Hill and the White House.
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will assist the Financial Controller and the Senior Staff Accountant in verifying accuracy of invoices/statements received, posting invoices, and processing checks to vendors.
Scope of Position
This position entails conducting continuous verification of invoices, statements, and credits received, resolving any discrepancies with invoices, statements, credits and/or vendors. This also includes preparing payments with proper documentation for signature. Additional duties include creating and maintaining computerized records of expenses and payments, assisting in the preparation of various reports produced by the department and assisting in the month end closing process.
The General Accountant reports to the Senior Staff Accountant
Duties and Responsibilities
Major responsibilities: Accounts Payable
- Has working knowledge of online purchasing/receiving system.
- Works closely with Purchasing manager to ensure all procedures are followed.
- Responsible for maintaining all internal controls for accounts payable.
- Reviews open purchase order file, checks on past due invoices weekly, investigates and resolves any outstanding issues.
- Obtains original copies of all purchase orders and matches same to related receiving materials.
- Verifies receipt of all materials listed on invoices and statements received from vendors and suppliers.
- Performs accuracy verification of items received, general ledger account and department charged, and invoice extensions.
- Reports deviations from established purchasing/receiving procedures to Senior Staff Accountant and Director of Purchasing
- Posts and inputs invoice data into accounting software on a daily basis; verifies data is accurate.
- Prepares approved and signed checks for mailing in timely manner (or as required by law)
- Performs file maintenance activities for purchase orders, receiving documents, signed check copies, computer print outs, and other documentation pertaining to accounts payable operations.
- Prepares all year end governmental reporting including 1099’s
- Assists in end of month closing process, including payments, reversals, and accruals.
- Assists Controller in the maintenance and posting of Prepaid Accounts.
- Is responsible for training another team member AP process to maintain coverage during time off.
- Assists in the performance of annual review and purge of files.
- Other duties as assigned.
Major responsibilities: Cashier
- Oversees cashier activities to ensure adherence to policies and procedures for cash handling operations.
- Retrieves cashier deposit envelopes from drop safe on a daily basis, audits for accuracy.
- Prepares cashier “due back” envelopes whenever necessary to maintain cashier bank total.
- Balances and reconciles daily cash and checks to posted revenues, and prepares bank deposits for pick-up by armored car.
- Organizes and maintains records/files for cashier deposit envelopes, daily deposit log sheets, credit card and cash deposit records.
- Prepares daily and monthly cashier over/short report(s), assists cashier when necessary to determine cause, informs management, recommends corrective actions.
- Performs “surprise audits” on all House Banks monthly.
- Maintains and inventories General Cashier bank, primary operating fund bank of hotel.
- Anticipates cash requirements, prepares and transmits necessary change requests to bank in order to provide cashiers with sufficient operating funds.
- Disburses petty cash funds when presented with properly prepared and signed petty cash voucher.
- Maintains petty cash disbursement records; transmits same to Assistant Controller for ledger posting.
- Issues and controls all cashier house banks, controls vault combination and keys.
- Maintains records and contracts for all cashier house banks and provides Human Resources with copies, as necessary.
- Verifies all Foreign Exchange Rates computed on foreign currency exchange funds and arranges for conversion.
- Prepares all end of month reconciliations and journal entries to assist in closing process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirement on Core Competencies
The incumbent will require the following personal attributes:
- Delighting our clients
- Awareness and sensitivity to the concept of luxury and quality.
- Responsive and genuine with customers.
- Sustains performance.
- Confident with customers.
- Working with Colleagues
- Communicates a compelling vision.
- Inspires cooperation and commitment.
- Adapts work style and ethics appropriately.
- Actively listens and builds on others’ ideas.
- Effectively understands and uses resources.
- Is culturally sensitive.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Promoting a Climate of Enthusiasm
- Has energy and drive.
- A sense of urgency.
- Motivating individual.
- Communicates clearly.
- Open to feedback and learning.
- Possesses potential to grow.
- Being the Best
- Achievement oriented.
- Makes things happen.
- Has presence.
- Has positive impact and influence.
- Generates innovative options.
- Adapts plans to suit change.
- Seeks continuous improvement opportunities.
- Delivering Shareholder Value
- Takes a helicopter view and keeps in focus.
- Clearly understands effective operating of a hotel.
- Develops and implements strategy.
- Adapts strategies to changes.
- Aligns plans to strategies.
- Continuously seeks new opportunities.
- Playing by the Rules
- Operates ethically.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Acting with Responsibility
- Can identify core issues and problems.
- Emotionally stable and mature.
- Accepts feedback.
- Coaches’ others.
- Manages responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of computer software to include SUN Systems,Adaco and All Windows applications.
- Strong Level of Proficiency in Excel
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or Hospitality Management
- Experience in Accounting, thorough understanding of purchasing and receiving procedures.
- Strong team player, enthusiastic to learn and accomplish the Finance Department and Mandarin Oriental overall goals.
Advertised: 10 Jan 2022 US Eastern Standard Time