Applicant Search Category:
University Authorized FTE:
VPUR-Univ Alumni Association
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The University of Maryland Alumni Association seeks an Accountant to perform complex general ledger and financial reporting processes within the accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking and event operations functions using MIP software. This person will work directly with the Senior Director of Business Operations. The Accountant provides advanced accounting services including completing account reconciliations within full cycle accounting and supports month-end and year-end closing processes.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assist in financial statements analysis and notes.
- Prepare and record asset, liability, revenue, and expense transactions into MIP.
- Process and maintain all A/R invoicing and cash receipts (full-cycle).
- Prepare monthly bank account and general ledger reconciliations.
- Process all A/P and vendor payments (full cycle) in a timely manner.
- Prepare and submit annual Forms 1099.
- Provide support to the Business Operations Department with the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990 and 990N E-postcard submission for Alumni Networks.
- Participate in all facets of the monthly, quarterly, and annual adjusting and closing process.
- Participate in the completion of the Prepared-by-Client audit requirement list (PBC)
- Ensure excellent customer service by providing timely and accurate information to stakeholders as always needed and in a polite/professional manner
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree required.
At least five years of full-time professional experience in accounting and/or finance with demonstrated progressive professional growth. Candidates must also have experience using automated accounting and office programs such as MIP, Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge, QuickBooks, or Salesforce.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Superior analytical, problem-solving and reconciliation skills
- Proven ability to be a team player, self-starter, and motivated in performing the duties and responsibilities of the job and the goals of the Finance Department
- Thorough understanding of GAAP (FASB/SFAS)
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Non-profit experience
- Public accounting experience
- Experience in Kuali Financial Software (KFS) and/or University of Maryland financial systems
- Experience in Abila MIP
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar field
For best consideration, please apply by October 4th, 2021.
Benefits offered: The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 22 Days Annual Leave; 15 Days Sick Leave; 3 Days Personal Leave; 15 Paid Holidays; Tuition Remission; Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription coverage.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the USA. No Visa sponsorship is offered for this position.
Not Applicable to This Position
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard equipment and keyboards. Sedentary work.
Best Consideration Date
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.